Several Deaths Resulting From Unsafe Generator Use
Ice storms and power outages have ravaged the East Coast, and many people have taken it upon themselves to invest in portable generators to keep their power on to get through the winter. When used properly, portable generators are a great way to keep your home warm, your lights on, and your refrigerator running during an untimely power outage. Unfortunately, due to unsafe generator use, at least 9 People have died from carbon monoxide poisoning recently on the East Coast.
When running a generator indoors, carbon monoxide from the exhaust builds up and reaches incredibly unsafe levels as much as three times the danger level. It is also extremely important not to run a generator in your garage or near any windows or doors. Carbon monoxide fumes can seep in through a closed window or door and cause unsafe levels within the home regardless of being run outside. Keep your generator 20 feet from your home, and never place it in a garage, basement or near any open windows or doors.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The first three symptoms can be noticed early on at 70 parts per million of concentrated carbon monoxide, but it doesn’t take long after that for the fourth and final symptom to occur. If you experience any of these symptoms, quickly get out of your home to fresh air and turn off your generator immediately!
After your symptoms have gone away, you can return to open your windows and doors and ventilate your home. The use of battery-powered alarms is also recommended to warn you before carbon monoxide reaches dangerous levels.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas produced when fossil fuels — such as coal, gasoline, natural gas and oil — are burned. In only minutes, deadly fumes can develop in enclosed spaces. When you breathe carbon monoxide, it enters the bloodstream and cuts off delivery of oxygen to the body’s organs and tissues.
To read more about generator safety, please visit Electric Generators Direct’s Electric Generator Safety page.